Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Advanced Profile Control

• rpitera
  • rpitera
  • Add-ons
17 years 1 month ago #43036 by rpitera
Replied by rpitera on topic Re:Advanced Profile Control
ffaabbss wrote:

Well- some people are friendly some are "TOO direct" (euphemism unfortunaltely in your case)...

Well, some people answer your question if they can and others reply without looking at the question (which wasn't directed at you in the first place) and instead give you an opinion that you didn't ask for and wasn't helpful - twice, which would be YOUR case. This is petty BS and I really don't have the time for it. Fortunately this is a first for me in these forums so I guess I am long overdue ;) .

I have tried to be as clear, succinct and unemotional as possible; if you consider this 'unfriendly' I suggest you develop a thicker skin. The question was actually directed to Mikko and unless you working for him, I don't think you can answer it for sure, right?

Now if I was asking for a good host that supported IonCube, your answer would have been spot on, but I wasn't. Nor was I looking to debate.

ffaabbss wrote:

I am going to try to help you anyway as your unfriendly post was so long and merits an answer for your hard try to offend me in your really charming way.

Again, since I didn't ask you for help, and I didn't get help I can't see how you were "offended" by my stating the facts - but that's your interpretation and I have no control over that. And I really don't need you to get personal with me, it doesn't help and it only succeeds in making you look bad.

I asked you not to reply to me, so if you continue to do so, any offense you take is your own problem.

ffaabbss wrote:

even if 1and1 does not offer Ioncube on your servers you can always try and use a precompiled package and put it in your Joomla-root-
try this download-link and unpack in your root:
www.ffaabbiiaann.de/download/inocube.rar

This did the trick for me on some hosts.

Well unfortunately all you did was send me a copy of what I already downloaded from IonCube so I am no better off than I was when we started. This is the same package and instructions that I got from IonCube, and as I stated in the original message I already followed those instructions and got nowhere.

Now I have managed to sort out IonCube on my testbed server in my lab which allows me to try APC out, but if the paid version still uses IonCube then there's no reason to proceed as it won't help me or my clients.

And of course, that was my ORIGINAL question and the only real answer I needed.
The topic has been locked.
  • darb
  • darb
17 years 1 month ago #43060 by darb
Replied by darb on topic Re:Advanced Profile Control
The problem with encrypted software is that you are more looked in for future freedom to do adaptations to other system etc... and what happens if "the one man" mostly lead developer stop developing your component or you want to make some own improvments?

Like what have happens with JOMRES, OpenSEF etc components where the developers just disapear for a while or forever?

Then you have no support and no possibility to do anything with this component and your site if its encrypted or whatever...
  • rpitera
  • rpitera
  • Add-ons
17 years 1 month ago #43064 by rpitera
darb wrote:

The problem with encrypted software is that you are more looked in for future freedom to do adaptations to other system etc... and what happens if "the one man" mostly lead developer stop developing your component or you want to make some own improvments?

Like what have happens with JOMRES, OpenSEF etc components where the developers just disapear for a while or forever?

Then you have no support and no possibility to do anything with this component and your site if its encrypted or whatever...

darb -

This is especially apropos for Mikkosoft as it IS a one man show. But while I do agree with you, my main concern is whether or not the paid version is encrypted - do you know by any chance?

If Mikko wants to use encryption for trials, I have no issue with that. But if it's encrypted on the paid version, then I'm probably not going to be able to use it for my projects.
  • mikko
  • mikko
17 years 1 month ago #43087 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:Advanced Profile Control
Currently there is one encrypted file in the full version, and this is the plan for the short term. This file contains code for license check, registration and

For one man shows and smaller businesses, it is highly recommended to us source code escrow. This is what I am planning to do. However, currently all my time goes to fixing minor bugs and inconveniences, as well as helping people to set up the software.

These are the plans for the short term. In the long term things can change.

-Mikko
  • rpitera
  • rpitera
  • Add-ons
17 years 1 month ago #43121 by rpitera
Thanks Mikko, that's really all I was looking for. I never meant for this to turn into a debate! I'll continue to see what I can learn with my testbed since I finally got the ICloaders to work there. I hope I can learn it in under 60 days! :laugh: But at least having a trial period gives me options to see if the sw will work for me now, I am glad you could set that up!

(BTW, if anyone needs help with this on a Win2k3/XAMPP platform, feel free to PM me)

I hope you'll move to source escrow instead of encryuption, but I can understand your need to protect your income at this stage of the game.
  • mikko
  • mikko
17 years 1 month ago #43201 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:Advanced Profile Control
rpitera wrote:

Thanks Mikko, that's really all I was looking for. I never meant for this to turn into a debate! I'll continue to see what I can learn with my testbed since I finally got the ICloaders to work there. I hope I can learn it in under 60 days! :laugh: But at least having a trial period gives me options to see if the sw will work for me now, I am glad you could set that up!

Would having a Zend encoded version be better for you?

I hope you'll move to source escrow instead of encryuption, but I can understand your need to protect your income at this stage of the game.

It is not actually about income that much, but other things: Selling this component is not exactly a gold mine. It is more about principle: If I sell something I will rather lose sales than help pirates. Well, I will soon post an article on my site explaining this.

Source code escrow is not an alternative to encryption, but something that makes it possible for people to access the source code in case I am not available or willing to support this software any more.

The idea is to give the source code of the component to a trusted third party which keeps it safe. If for some reason I would be unavailable to maintain the software, the escrow service would release the source code to anyone who can prove that he is a customer.

If anyone has suggestions of a good (and inexpensive) escrow service, I would be happy to hear.

-Mikko

Post edited by: mikko, at: 2007/08/17 08:48
Moderators: beatnantkrileon