Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Advanced Profile Control

• mikko
  • mikko
17 years 1 month ago #43016 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:Advanced Profile Control
It is used for both versions. In trial version for all files and the full version for just one file.

This can change in the future, but in the short term this is the solution that I am using. If someone can figure an efficient way to prevent pirating the software without implementing license management (which requires encoding), I am open to suggestions.

Actually, I have some ideas of my own regarding this, but currently no time to test or implement alternative solutions.

-Mikko
The topic has been locked.
  • ffaabbss
  • ffaabbss
17 years 1 month ago #43020 by ffaabbss
Replied by ffaabbss on topic Re:Advanced Profile Control
rpitera wrote:

Mikko -

Does the paid version of your APC plug also require thedreaded Ioncbue loader or are you just using for the 30 day trial?

I can't use this with my host 1and1.com (or any of my clients for that matter since I host most of them there) and they don't support it. I couldn't even getit to run on my own testbed server at home - despite following all the instructions to the letter, it still won't work.

By using Ioncube, I think you're locking out a large perentage of your possible market - some on principle and most because the damn thing is just so hard to get working. What a shame, since APC does what we really need in CB.

Post edited by: rpitera, at: 2007/08/15 15:21

Change your provider! Not supporting ioncube is not good service anymore... Best and cheapest German j´hoster is probably all-inkl.com. Really great!!! Even 24/7 telephone support if you have Private advanced tarif!!!
If you are in Britain or do not need quick Telefone suppport and don't mind your hoster being in another country go to dreamhost.com- simply amazing what they offer for a small price!!!!!!!!!!
It is proven that unencoded Joomla software that is very advanced like APC is often redistributed through the warez channel... So Mikko is probably not goingg to profit much more from distributing it unencoded I fear.
Just go to a proper provider and tell them you want to use that great Script from Mikko and they should be able to get you going providing you with ioncube in 5 minutes...
1and1 is just tooooo comercial to offer that service...

I love APC so far Mikko and I am looking forward to this weekends advanced version with great new feautres I hope -hehe ;):whistle: not trying to push here :evil:
  • rpitera
  • rpitera
  • Add-ons
17 years 1 month ago #43023 by rpitera
Replied by rpitera on topic Re:Advanced Profile Control
Uhh, no. :whistle:

1and1.com is one of the largest providers in the world and I've been using them for years now without a single issue that could not be resolved immediately. I have moved all of my clients to them and I am extremely pleased.

I've been part of roundtables and forums as a user and was recently invited to one of their local data centers for a tour and a discussion on what they could do to make things even better. I have no intent on changing from one of the best hosts I've ever dealt with in my career because of APC.

And that doesn't address why after following every instruction to the letter I couldn't get my home system running XAMMP to recognize the IonCube loaders. I'm no newbie and if I spend a day trying to get a simple Zend extension to work (and BTW, all my other Zend extensions work just fine) then I am wasting a lot of valuable time that I could be using making a living.

There are plenty, and I mean PLENTY of commercial Joomla 3PDs making money (some of it from me, BTW ;)) without the use of the IonCube loader to secure it. And the only thing I've ever seen in the 'warez channel' related to Joomla is a few templates so your assertion is unfounded. Please don't use the word "proven" unless you actually have proof...

Please don't reply unless you have something relevant to add to the conversation. While I'm glad you love APC and your wonderful host, that doesn't answer any of my questions.

Post edited by: rpitera, at: 2007/08/15 16:15

Post edited by: rpitera, at: 2007/08/15 16:16
  • ffaabbss
  • ffaabbss
17 years 1 month ago #43026 by ffaabbss
I am not saying 1and1 is not good. They are just tooo big and commercial and it takes more time for them to adjust to the market and Ioncube encoded software has just recently become more popular and they will eventually offer it, but it takes them time...

I would give other providers a try!
1and1 prices are ridiculously over the market average and what you get for the price is not much (except stability, uptime and security) But if you regularly make backups, and are satisfied with 99% uptime many others will do for you!
  • rpitera
  • rpitera
  • Add-ons
17 years 1 month ago #43032 by rpitera
Replied by rpitera on topic Re:Advanced Profile Control
:pinch: Again, this is NOT answering my question. I have given 'other providers a try' which is why I am with 1and1 as are all my clients. I have deployed many Joomla sites with them and without issues until IonCube.

And your assertion that "Ioncube encoded software has just recently become more popular" is again, your opinion only. I use tons of Closed source, Open source and GPL software and have been with J! since before the fork - I have only run into IonCube twice, once with JACL+pro (which I decided not to use because of it) and now APC. And given the backlash in the community against encrypted software in general and IonCube in particular, I would think that you'll see LESS not MORE of 3PDs using it.

If I have a problem with my Nissan and I go to a mechanic and ask him what's wrong, I don't want to hear, "Oh, you should have gotten a Ford - they're sooo much better than Nissans! Nissans are tooo Japanese..."

What I want to hear - what I NEED to hear - is either:
  • OK, Here's your problem, it'll cost you X amount to fix...
  • - or -
  • Sorry we don't fix Nissans - John's Garage down the street can help you...

Anything else does not contribute to getting my car fixed. If I wanted to debate the merits of one car brand over another, then I would have asked the mechanic for an opinion.

And as far as the email comment you sent, if I am "looking in the wrong places ;)" for Joomla warez, it's probably because I AM NOT LOOKING FOR JOOMLA WAREZ. I am more than happy to pay for commercial software and have done so on many occasions. I will always support programmers; that's why I am a 2007 DOC subscriber here.

All I ask is that it work and that it can be installed on my chosen host. I don't need software dictating my business decisions. I love the concept of APC, but if it is only available to IonCube loader users, then I'll pass, thanks. Whether others make the same decision or not is a matter for another thread, and probably better suited for Mikko's own site.

Listen, I didn't post here to get into a debate over the virtues of IonCube or one host over another. So unless you are authorized to speak for Mikko and answer my questions, I'd appreciate it if you refrained from contacting me directly again.

I just want to know if I can get my car fixed here or not. ;)

Post edited by: rpitera, at: 2007/08/15 17:22
  • ffaabbss
  • ffaabbss
17 years 1 month ago #43034 by ffaabbss
Well- some people are friendly some are "TOO direct" (euphemism unfortunaltely in your case)...

I am going to try to help you anyway as your unfriendly post was so long and merits an answer for your hard try to offend me in your really charming way.

even if 1and1 does not offer Ioncube on your servers you can always try and use a precompiled package and put it in your Joomla-root-
try this download-link and unpack in your root:
www.ffaabbiiaann.de/download/inocube.rar

This did the trick for me on some hosts.
Moderators: beatnantkrileon