Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Plugin - jAwards AutoReward

15 years 9 months ago #80712 by ComposerRyan
Replied by ComposerRyan on topic Re:Plugin - jAwards AutoReward
Okay, it is working now. Apparently it is something to do with comprofiler.php So, what I did, was just replaced it with the ORIGINAL comprofiler.php that came with my community builder.

Also, AlphaUserPoints *may* have done something to cause the problem with comprofiler...but I'm just not sure yet.

It SEEMS to be working fine now and I LOVE it!

There is just one major complaint for me:

How come the user has to logout and then login again to see their awards update? I think this is a major drawback to the component since many (if not all) will not realize that they are getting awards and just get discouraged when they do not receive them. And it would look tacky to put a message that say "Please logout and then login again to see your awards." It just seems like a bad method for updating the awards.

Is there any way for them to update IMMEDIATELY without the user having to login again?

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE AMAZING PLUGIN! I think this is among one of the best plugins ever developed for community builder. Great work. :)

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Ryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andrejaz
  • Andrejaz
15 years 9 months ago #80731 by Andrejaz
Replied by Andrejaz on topic Re:Plugin - jAwards AutoReward
Yeah I agree with this. There should be awarding without reloging. I also think that you should co-operate with Jawards creator and release full Jawards plugin with autowards, API and awarding without reloging that would be great. :)

• krileon
  • krileon
15 years 9 months ago #80876 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Plugin - jAwards AutoReward
I already know how to make them award without relogging. I just choose not to build it that way.

What you must understand is each award type is 1 query. So for fireboard, joomlagallery, etc.. That's 1 query each. Then for each award you're being given that's an insert query. The potential for 20+ queries simply from awards is very real.

So I went the path of only issuing the awards upon login. Thus the queries are only triggered 1 time. It'd be silly to constantly be in contact with the database trying to figure out if the user has finally reached an award goal or not.

If you'd like this functionality you're very welcome to add it, but if you have a large user base then that's A LOT of queries non-stop. You'll kill your query count. Wouldn't even dare try it on a budget hosting package.

My best suggestion is to modify it to issue the check every X amount of hours or minutes.

It's open source after all. You can edit it freely. :P

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

15 years 9 months ago #80877 by ComposerRyan
Replied by ComposerRyan on topic Re:Plugin - jAwards AutoReward
lol :D Thanks for keeping it open source too!

I really wouldn't know how to edit it so that it queries constantly and yes, my site is hopefully going to grow big so I definitely don't want to cause problems.

My best suggestion is to modify it to issue the check every X amount of hours or minutes.

Now I would like this idea better...how would I go about doing this? If you don't mind showing me that would be great because I have no idea.

Thanks again for your help and explanation on that. I now see why you chose to do it that way.

Ryan

• krileon
  • krileon
15 years 9 months ago #80886 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Plugin - jAwards AutoReward
ComposerRyan wrote:

lol :D Thanks for keeping it open source too!

I really wouldn't know how to edit it so that it queries constantly and yes, my site is hopefully going to grow big so I definitely don't want to cause problems.

Now I would like this idea better...how would I go about doing this? If you don't mind showing me that would be great because I have no idea.

Thanks again for your help and explanation on that. I now see why you chose to do it that way.

Ryan

Have to create a new function as well as add a new row to the jawards table. This function will insert a timestamp upon trigger of the awards. Then everytime a user visits their profile a query is made to this new row to check if the time > time+whatever. If it is then trigger the awards. If not then just do an empty return.

This essentially takes all those potential queries and turns them into only 1.

Wouldn't be hard to do, but unfortunately I do not have the time right now. Perhaps in a few days (week or longer) I'll have some spare time, but right now I'm swamped with contract work and work on my own site. As well as an upcoming job interview, lol. Busy busy busy.

Sorry that I can't be of much help right now, but I'll try to find some time when possible. I'd suggest looking at other examples with similar timestamp functions. A good example is how Fireboard handles karma. If you check out the code for that you'll have a good idea on what to do.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• ckayfish
  • ckayfish
15 years 9 months ago #80890 by ckayfish
Replied by ckayfish on topic Re:Plugin - jAwards AutoReward
I wasn't considering adding this functionality, but may look into how it could help my site.

I just read through this whole thread and am replying to say that Open Source developers know better than anyone else that "no good deed goes unpunished". Yes, everyone was nice about their request, one donated, and you seem to have a personality that likes being helpful and solving problems, but still; Krileon, you are a saint and very patient.

That goes for all other Open Source developers. I vote that the next holiday created should be titled "Open Source Developer Day".

Post edited by: ckayfish, at: 2008/11/29 08:15

Tips for understanding and solving your issue - Props to Krileon for creating this.
My Opensource CB Plugins: Mutual Connections and MYCB Cookie available here

Moderators: beatnantkrileon