Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Admin read PMs

• tpsorg
  • tpsorg
13 years 9 months ago #149400 by tpsorg
Replied by tpsorg on topic Re:Admin read PMs
Slabbi, look, from my point of view, I am not trying to spy on my users. I don't care what they talk about amongst themselves, as long as it isn't something that needs special attention or intervention. And nobody ever said anything about it being behind their back. I am all for having it clearly displayed in the ToS and even a little "tick" box that would inform them that admins may see this message. There's absolutely nothing in the world wrong with that.

In the U.S., it is not illegal for admins and site owners to read or intercept messages as long as it is listed in the ToS. And also, you can absolutely bet major companies like I mentioned to in fact have this ability. I have a friend who works with Google in Brasil and he informed me that only high level security admins have access to all info. But they do have access. As someone pointed, what if a user is devious and trying to prey on some child? If we would have the ability to intercept these messages, block user and report to authorities then we could perhaps save an innocent child's life.

You are looking at it from the point of eavesdropping. We're looking at it from a security and safety reason. I don't want to snoop. But I also don't want an innocent person, or my system, harmed.

By the way, nobody reports messages. Especially if they think they're not getting themselves into trouble, like an unknowing child or adult falling for a scam or tick.

No buddy. I thank you for the hard work and respect the system you created. But my friend, you are dead wrong on this issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• montana
  • montana
13 years 9 months ago #151131 by montana
Replied by montana on topic Re:Admin read PMs
I installed UddeIm and I am Happy with the Extension up to this "Admin Read PMs" Function, which i feel bad for my younger members.I know my site with 8000 User have
a lot of scammers,idiots,fakes...

I thought at least the "Premium Plugin: Report Message" would help me.I installed and.

After one week i got 3 Reported Messages on my mail, i logged to Backend to see whats happen. hold on: I can not see the Messages what in it. veeery nice ...
what i need a report message when i can not see what is in?.

I think i will look altenative ways in the future, isnt it a open source? maybe someone othercan build a Plugin to Admin read PMs? who know... and I will sure support with a big Donation...;)

• slabbi
  • slabbi
13 years 9 months ago #151133 by slabbi
Replied by slabbi on topic Re:Admin read PMs

montana wrote: After one week i got 3 Reported Messages on my mail, i logged to Backend to see whats happen. hold on: I can not see the Messages what in it. veeery nice ...
what i need a report message when i can not see what is in?.

You should be able to see the message (there is a hide/show button next to each entry). Only encrypted(!) messages cannot be displayed, obfuscated ones will be displayed and all unencrypted ones.

If it does not display the reported messages maybe it is a bug. Could you provide me with a sadmin login and I do also need extplorer in order to have access to uddeIM files.

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

• montana
  • montana
13 years 8 months ago #152093 by montana
Replied by montana on topic Re:Admin read PMs
Hello I just Read your Post,thanks for Helping, I just send You a PMS

• slabbi
  • slabbi
13 years 8 months ago #152266 by slabbi
Replied by slabbi on topic Re:Admin read PMs

montana wrote: Hello I just Read your Post,thanks for Helping, I just send You a PMS

Checked your site. "Something" (maybe a plugin, maybe a Joomla modification) filters the "script"-tag that loads the required Javascript code. It is not a uddeIM bug.
I modified the code on your site so it works but it is a workaround. I recommend to find the buggy plugin and fix this behavior.

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

• ampz21
  • ampz21
13 years 8 months ago #153216 by ampz21
Replied by ampz21 on topic Re:Admin read PMs
Slabbi, whilst I appreiciate your thoughts on this matter (great work on uddeim by the way), I hope you appreiciate the "opposing" sides thoughts too.

Could you atleast provide a guide on how to achieve whats disscuseed in this thread, so others can continue to use uddeim, and still have this feature whilst your thoughts are preserved on the matter as the component still won't provide this feature "as is"?

Moderators: beatnantslabbikrileon