Skip to Content Skip to Menu

🏖 End of summer sale! Savings on all memberships including single add-ons! Get 25% off now with code SUMMER25!

CB Profile integration with Kunena upgrade link issue

• micheleq
  • micheleq
1 month 3 weeks ago #338500 by micheleq
Hello,
I'm testing upgrading from CB 2.9.1 to CB 2.9.2 - Kunena 6.2.3 to 6.3.2 - Joomla 4.4.2 to 4.4.5
In the profile page of a user, under the Forums tab, we get the links to the posts of that profile. While the links still work they have lost the post number and hence the links go to the first post of that topic. I see this is also happening here in Joomlapolis.
The old links were something like: /forum/forum-category/123-forum-topic?start=336#221733
While the new links are: /forum/forum-category/123-forum-topic 
If there's a handful of posts in the thread, it's not an issue, but with hundreds of responses in the topic, it's impossible to find. The option would be to search the forum, but that negates the function of the Forum Tab. 
I understand this may well be a Kunena issue,  but thought I'd bring it up here. 
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Tomás 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
1 month 3 weeks ago #338504 by krileon
Kunena API for querying for every post as opposed to every topic was causing massive performance issues (nearly 10 second page load time on JP profiles and longer in our test environment with a million posts). So we switched it to showing only topics that you've posted in or created. The URLs it outputs are provided by Kunena's API. I believe topic URLs should at least link to first or last post, but aside from that yes you'll need to use the search just to the top-right in the topic itself to find a specific post.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• micheleq
  • micheleq
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #338523 by micheleq
Hi Kyle,
I'm not sure I understand correctly:

Kunena API for querying for every post as opposed to every topic was causing massive performance issues (nearly 10 second page load time on JP profiles and longer in our test environment with a million posts). So we switched it to showing only topics that you've posted in or created. 

The list I'm referring to is the list of posts on someone's profile that person has made in the forum. Previously these were the same links.  And I can understand the delay problem on massive sites. 

The URLs it outputs are provided by Kunena's API. I believe topic URLs should at least link to first or last post, but aside from that yes you'll need to use the search just to the top-right in the topic itself to find a specific post.

Yes, I believe they link to the first or last post depending how you've set your post order. So, what I'm understanding is because Kunena's API is inefficient (or for whatever reason), just searching for the user's topics rather than posts,  this speeds up the query, understandably so. Hence, the link created, has just the topic information, and not the full topic and post information. Am I understanding that correctly? 

If that's so, do you see that changing in the foreseeable future? I'm asking not to put pressure but because I'm getting questions about it on a smaller site that I've already upgraded, and need to know to answer.  
Thank you,
Tomás

PS: I'm not able to attach a jpg file for some reason (280kb) 
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by micheleq.

• krileon
  • krileon
1 month 3 weeks ago #338524 by krileon

Yes, I believe they link to the first or last post depending how you've set your post order. So, what I'm understanding is because Kunena's API is inefficient (or for whatever reason), just searching for the user's topics rather than posts, this speeds up the query, understandably so. Hence, the link created, has just the topic information, and not the full topic and post information. Am I understanding that correctly?

Correct, it does not have individual message information just topic information so it can't link to a specific message.

If that's so, do you see that changing in the foreseeable future? I'm asking not to put pressure but because I'm getting questions about it on a smaller site that I've already upgraded, and need to know to answer.

We can consider maybe providing a parameter for you to toggle between topic and post list so you can choose to take the massive performance hit or not. Are you absolutely needing individual post history back? It's typically not common to display every single individual post, but just the topics as it does now.

PS: I'm not able to attach a jpg file for some reason (280kb)

Is it giving you an error of any kind?

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• micheleq
  • micheleq
1 month 3 weeks ago #338549 by micheleq

We can consider maybe providing a parameter for you to toggle between topic and post list so you can choose to take the massive performance hit or not. Are you absolutely needing individual post history back? It's typically not common to display every single individual post, but just the topics as it does now.

My users tend to use it quite a bit, I was not aware until it went missing. The forum has a lot of usage and things get buried fast, and people like to follow what certain other users are saying. Right now they are resorting to the search function in the forum.

Is it giving you an error of any kind?

No error, it would allow me to upload, but I couldn't insert in the post and when published the file wasn't there either. Windows 11/Chrome, I also disabled adblockers, with no change. 
www.rock33.com/Screenshot2024-07-16211526.png

• krileon
  • krileon
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #338556 by krileon

My users tend to use it quite a bit, I was not aware until it went missing. The forum has a lot of usage and things get buried fast, and people like to follow what certain other users are saying. Right now they are resorting to the search function in the forum.

Will review considering adding support for displaying individual posts again instead of topics in a future release, but for now I recommend they continue to use searching. The performance issues are quite substantial so it won't be the default behavior anymore if a parameter is implemented.

No error, it would allow me to upload, but I couldn't insert in the post and when published the file wasn't there either. Windows 11/Chrome, I also disabled adblockers, with no change. 

Strange, not sure what could be the cause unless you're exceeding the file size limits (maximum for images is 1 MB), but it should've just rejected the upload if that was the case. Possibly a bug in Kunena causing it.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by krileon.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon