Skip to Content Skip to Menu

sorry but I got a Problem with the usage of Password in Community Builder

1 month 5 days ago - 1 month 5 days ago #338894 by Dayray1989
 We sync our user with LDAP and now it tells that the Password ist null in the column. The User aren´t able to updated there Profile because of the Error: Column 'password' cannot be null. Is there a Way to say jump over that error?

that would help a lot. Thanks.
  • Last edit: 1 month 5 days ago by Dayray1989.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
    • krileon
    1 month 4 days ago - 1 month 4 days ago #338901 by krileon
    Your LDAP sync is creating a Joomla user and not a CB user. So the user exists in Joomla, but does not exist in CB. You can temporarily fix this by running the Synchronize Users tool in CB > Tools, but your LDAP sync implementation should be adjusted to create CB users. The API to do this can be found below.

www.joomlapolis.com/documentation/127-community-builder/279-tutorials/18362-registering-a-user-through-cb-api

CB however doesn't handle password storage. Joomla does. Does this happen only for LDAP synched users? Do normally registered users have this issue?

Enable debug mode and maximum error reporting in Joomla global configuration then retry saving profile. Next provide the full call stack for that error so we can try and identify where it's coming from more specifically.

Kyle (Krileon)
    Community Builder Team Member
    Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
    CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
    --
    If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
    --
    If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
    --
    Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
    --
    My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
    Last edit: 1 month 4 days ago by krileon.

1 month 4 days ago - 1 month 4 days ago #338904 by Dayray1989
    Like everything you said. I synced the user with the tool same problem. yes it´s only the People how comes from LDAP (and thats the Hole People) and after syncing we discover the same problem. Mybe a Fix where the Password can be null is fixing the Problem. 
    Or the other way around putting in your password to confirm your changes. that would help. Is there a way to do that? Because we need to use the LDAP.  
    Last edit: 1 month 4 days ago by Dayray1989.

• krileon
    • krileon
    1 month 4 days ago #338906 by krileon
    It seams like your LDAP plugin isn't generating a password for them. That's not permitted in Joomla. It should generate a randomly generated one at the very least. Are you using Joomla's "Authentication - LDAP" plugin or a 3rd party plugin? Was there any additional information with the error after having turned on debug mode and maximum error reporting?

Kyle (Krileon)
    Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
    CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
    --
    If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
    --
    If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
    --
    Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
    --
    My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

1 month 4 days ago #338909 by Dayray1989
    I have now found a workaround. Joomla's integrated LDAP library does not store passwords in the Joomla database. And only checks the passwords against the LDAP and not against the database, as it only checks whether the user name already exists. So I have now created a job with your posted API where the users are synced to Community Builder. And after debugging I found that the Community Builder expects a password to be set, but since no password is saved in the LDAP library, we have a problem here. You can get around this by running a job that randomly sets a password for the user, which is completely irrelevant because it checks the password against LDAP anyway. which in turn fixes the error from the Community Builder because a password is now set.
    But this is really just a workaround because the user now has to be provided with a front end from LDAP in which they can reset and change their password.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon, inLIMITit

• krileon
    • krileon
    1 month 3 days ago - 1 month 3 days ago #338910 by krileon
    It's not CB that expects a password to be set (there should not be a password column in _comprofiler). That's entirely stored by Joomla (in _users). Will review Joomla's user storage to see if they're doing something different with user stores when the user is LDAP synced to bypass populating password on the user object.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/9475

Additionally does this happen in CB backend user edit as well? If so does it also happen in Joomla user backend edit?

Kyle (Krileon)
    --
    --
    --
    --
    Last edit: 1 month 3 days ago by krileon.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon