Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Problem with searching multiple checkbox field in user management

8 years 3 months ago #282845 by PhilharmonieLeende
In Community Builder we defined a field of the type: checkbox (multiple) with the name: cb_mailgroepen. We use this field intensively to select the appropriate users to send mass mail (via User Management).

In CB 1.9.1 we could select this field for searching. Similar to the front end the checkbox overview would be shown in the user management menu and multiple selections could be made enabling us to select multiple groups of users to receive the same mass mail.

I could not find similar functionality in CB 2.0.14. In User Management there is a Search Tools. When i select the field cb_mailgroepen no checkboxes appear. Apparently we have to type in some text, which is a) rather hard for our admins; b) not working.

Currently one of the key functions of our site is broken, so I would like to know how to display the checkboxes again.

As alternative I tried the following expression:
[ cb_mailgroepen ] [ is one of ] [ Fanfare orkest, Bestuur ] (The []- brackets indicate the postions in CB and are not used in the expression.
Both values are valid (and in use for creating lists), nevertheless CB delivers a empty list in the User Mgm, even when I only one value, the list remains empty.
If I use [contains] instead of [is one of] it works with one value, but I can not get it to work with multiple values.

Joomla version: 3.5.1
CB version: 2.0.14

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
8 years 2 months ago #282910 by nant

PhilharmonieLeende wrote: In Community Builder we defined a field of the type: checkbox (multiple) with the name: cb_mailgroepen. We use this field intensively to select the appropriate users to send mass mail (via User Management).

In CB 1.9.1 we could select this field for searching. Similar to the front end the checkbox overview would be shown in the user management menu and multiple selections could be made enabling us to select multiple groups of users to receive the same mass mail.

I could not find similar functionality in CB 2.0.14. In User Management there is a Search Tools. When i select the field cb_mailgroepen no checkboxes appear. Apparently we have to type in some text, which is a) rather hard for our admins; b) not working.

Currently one of the key functions of our site is broken, so I would like to know how to display the checkboxes again.

As alternative I tried the following expression:
[ cb_mailgroepen ] [ is one of ] [ Fanfare orkest, Bestuur ] (The []- brackets indicate the postions in CB and are not used in the expression.
Both values are valid (and in use for creating lists), nevertheless CB delivers a empty list in the User Mgm, even when I only one value, the list remains empty.
If I use [contains] instead of [is one of] it works with one value, but I can not get it to work with multiple values.

Joomla version: 3.5.1
CB version: 2.0.14

[Moved from potential issues to usage forum.]

Please download and study the CB Primer Book and also watch the videos - seems that you just have not configured your user lists properly for CB 2.0+.

8 years 2 months ago #282913 by PhilharmonieLeende
Dear Nick,

Thank you for responsing to my question. Unfortunately I do not fully understand your reply. When I migrated from 1.9.1 to 2.0.14 I followed exactly the instructions in the CB Primer book v1.0.5 on page 34. I did all checks on the database before and after the migration.

My main concern is that functionality which was present in the Mass Mailer version CB 1.9.1, namely filtering fields by selecting multiple boxes (i.e. performing an .OR. function between varies values), seems to be missing from CB 2.0.14. I apologize if it is present, but neither in the primer nor in the instruction videos I am able to find this.
If it is not present, I still would classify this as a bug, because functionality has been lost by upgrading.

Only as workaround I started looking at creating lists. In the basic tab it is indeed not clear to me what the various operators mean.
In particular I was expecting that the operator 'one of' performs exactly the .OR. function I was looking for. This might be wrong, but I cannot find any explanation on the various operators.

The help page ( www.joomlapolis.com/documentation/277-community-builder/reference-guide/18441-list-management-edit?pk_campaign=in-cb&pk_kwd=help ) does not clarify this, nor does the CB primer v.1.0.5. Nor was I able to find the video which explains all operators.

In the advanced tab I can create the filter I need with the follwing statement:
LOCATE('Fanfare orkest', cb_mailgroepen) > 0 OR LOCATE('Bestuur', cb_mailgroepen) > 0

Now I still need a way to send mass mail to a list and am in discussion with the author of hqcbmailer.

In summary:
1) Filter in mass mailer seems to have less functionality than the filter in CB 1.9.1, which poses a problem for my site;
2) I am not able to find the definitions of the operators in the basic function tab in the provide literature/videos;
3) If item 1 is true, then how to send mail to users on a list

Best regards,
Mark

Moderators: beatnantkrileon