Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Dynamic Lists in CB

9 years 7 months ago #257531 by Esterhazy0
Dynamic Lists in CB was created by Esterhazy0
I am new to CB, having in the past managed users through Content Builder and Breezing Forms. I am attracted to the community and eco-system around CB but I have a couple of requirements that I want to explore before going in to this full speed.

First is the ability for users to hide certain fields from their profile. For example, for membership reasons, we require address particulars from everyone. However, some users may or may not wish to share this information openly with other users. Is there an easy way to suppress display of some fields for some users in a list view, based on the value in another field (e.g. "Tick this box to keep your address from being included in the directory"). I was looking at the Userlist Value Layout field or Placeholder Value in the Field definition, but I can't find any documentation on how to use these.

Secondly, is there any easy way to format a list other than the standard title:name - i.e. if i have a field called name and a value "Fred Bloggs' can I easily get a display that say "My name is Fred Bloggs", rather than "Name: Fred Bloggs"?

I can do this with php by querying the com profiler table and manually laying out the html myself, but I was wondering if there was something a little easier to follow for other users

Thanks for any thoughts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
9 years 7 months ago #257535 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Dynamic Lists in CB

Esterhazy0 wrote: I am new to CB, having in the past managed users through Content Builder and Breezing Forms. I am attracted to the community and eco-system around CB but I have a couple of requirements that I want to explore before going in to this full speed.

Welcome to our forums and to CB!

First is the ability for users to hide certain fields from their profile. For example, for membership reasons, we require address particulars from everyone. However, some users may or may not wish to share this information openly with other users. Is there an easy way to suppress display of some fields for some users in a list view, based on the value in another field (e.g. "Tick this box to keep your address from being included in the directory").

You can use the CB Privacy add-on (Professional membership needed) to let people decide what to show to whom. Such privacy protection on a field will also be respected in user listings.

You can use the tick value if you want and filter the user list to not show any users at all (with value ticked) on a specific list. You can also use CB substitutions and the user list layout value if you want.

Suggest you look at our Videos - they will help you understand things.

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp0puRITgC7PuyzPsMUECDI46VE7IFSAX

I was looking at the Userlist Value Layout field or Placeholder Value in the Field definition, but I can't find any documentation on how to use these.

Yup - see our videos - there are some examples there.

Secondly, is there any easy way to format a list other than the standard title:name - i.e. if i have a field called name and a value "Fred Bloggs' can I easily get a display that say "My name is Fred Bloggs", rather than "Name: Fred Bloggs"?

The layout tab of the field can be used for this - again videos will help.

I can do this with php by querying the com profiler table and manually laying out the html myself, but I was wondering if there was something a little easier to follow for other users

Thanks for any thoughts

There should be no need for this.

Suggest you watch the videos and then perhaps consider a paid membership on this site so we can help you an the paid support forums if needed (and also to get the extra add-ons that will help you move forward).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Esterhazy0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon