Skip to Content Skip to Menu

RESOLVED: uddeIM 1.2 SLOW Performance

• Thumdar
  • Thumdar
16 years 1 month ago #71410 by Thumdar
RESOLVED: uddeIM 1.2 SLOW Performance was created by Thumdar
The problem with this issue had nothing to do with uddeIM. It was a 3rd party caching component that was making everything perform so slowly. After I uninstalled that component, uddeIM worked perfectly!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am a HUGE fan of uddeIM and can't imagine using another PM system. That being said, I am having very, very slow performance issues.

When I compose a message and hit the send button, it takes at least 20 seconds to 1 minute for it to send. I am also finding that often times I get duplicate messages from my website users, which I assume is due to members getting impatient and hitting the send button multiple times.

Do you suppose it's a database issue? A web hosting issue? Or has anyone else had a similar issue with uddeIM?

I'm running Joomla 1.0.15 stable and uddeIM 1.2. Thanks for any thoughts.

Post edited by: Thumdar, at: 2008/10/13 02:13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slabbi
  • slabbi
16 years 1 month ago #71420 by slabbi
Replied by slabbi on topic Re:uddeIM 1.2 SLOW Performance
Maybe a web server issue. When you press the send button, all data is send using a POST request to the server which has to accept the request and execute PHP. It seems that here is your problem.

There is only one database query when a new message is created (a simple INSERT - ok, there are two or three SELECTs for the userid and groupid but nothing serious).

Maybe you should check the server load if the web server or the database is the problem.

btw: Joomlapolis with 100k users uses uddeIM, too. And there is only a small performance issue with the trashcan ;)

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

• Thumdar
  • Thumdar
16 years 3 weeks ago #72217 by Thumdar
Replied by Thumdar on topic Re:uddeIM 1.2 SLOW Performance
Thanks slabbi. However, since your suggestion that it is a server-side issue, I have been working with my web host (hostgator.com) and more than one admin has looked into this and they are saying everything is working fine on their end. I have been very diligent with them and have exchanged about 5 emails on this topic with them. Today they wrote me and said:

"I was able to login and send a private message to (Joomla username) without an issue. While it did take an extended time to send it did send. This is not going to be a server side issue, this is going to be a software issue. I would suggest doing some optimization of your database or checking with Joomla about this issue. There are not any other reported issues on this server."

I have optimized my database many times and everything is fine. Any thoughts?

• slabbi
  • slabbi
16 years 3 weeks ago #72221 by slabbi
You can do following:

Enable Joomla debug mode. When the request is send the complete page is redrawn. With debug mode on you should be able to see all SQL queries which are done during the page redraw. Maybe there are some other SQL queries which need much more time. I doubt that a single INSERT needs so much time. The only query in uddeIM which really needs lots time is the trashcan query.

CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

• slabbi
  • slabbi
16 years 3 weeks ago #72222 by slabbi
...and you can check if all indexes exist in uddeIM (use the XML file to compare the table structure with the structure in phpMyAdmin).

But even when an index is missing, the performance should be ok on small sites.

CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

Moderators: beatnantslabbikrileon