Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Envelope-Sender

• Netto
  • Netto
13 years 6 months ago #161318 by Netto
Envelope-Sender was created by Netto
Some of my users at Community Builder get no mail notifications from uddeIM. One of them said, the reason is
"dass mein Mailserver den "Envelope"-Absender anonymous@xxxxx.stratoserver.net nicht angenommen hat, da www.unimusik-goettingen.de keine Mail dafür akzeptiert. Das müsste geändert werden (Mailversandfunktion richtigen Absender verwenden lassen)."
Sorry for the German text, my English is not really good. It means: the envelope sender was not acceptet by the provider because uddeIM don't use the correct sender address.
My provider says the problem is uddeIM and not Joomla or the server.

Do you know about this and have you got a tip?

my site: www.kulturbuero-goettingen.de
Using Eventlis, Stalytics2, Vemod Newsmailer
Joomla 1.5 with:
CommunityBuilder with CB Activity, CbMailing, GroupJive, CBSubs
Kunena Forum, Remsitory, Shoutbox, UddeIM, JEvents,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slabbi
  • slabbi
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #161330 by slabbi
Replied by slabbi on topic Re: Envelope-Sender

Netto wrote: Some of my users at Community Builder get no mail notifications from uddeIM. One of them said, the reason is
"dass mein Mailserver den "Envelope"-Absender anonymous@xxxxx.stratoserver.net nicht angenommen hat, da www.unimusik-goettingen.de keine Mail dafür akzeptiert. Das müsste geändert werden (Mailversandfunktion richtigen Absender verwenden lassen)."
Sorry for the German text, my English is not really good. It means: the envelope sender was not acceptet by the provider because uddeIM don't use the correct sender address.

This is so stupid that I do spend some time to clarify this:

When a message is delivered by SMTP, there is a so called SMTP envelope (see RFC 2821) which is basically the data from the MAIL FROM: and RCPT TO: commands and the message itself (with the sender and recipient of the mail taken from the message header (From: and To:)). MAIl FROM: and RCPT TO: are SMTP commands you need to communicate with a SMTP server (Joomla does this when you have configured to use SMTP server) otherwise Sendmail or PHP on your server do this. These fields must be a known address when talking to a SMTP server otherwise the connection might be rejected.

When you set up Joomla you can choose between Sendmail, PHPmail and SMTP server. Depending on your choice Joomla uses Sendmail or PHPmail to send messages or uses its own library to connect to a SMTP server (so it "talks" SMTP directly to the MTA). When using Sendmail or PHPmail the server admin is responsible to configure the correct sender address in Sendmail config or PHP config.

In your case Strato has configured (I assume it is PHPmail) to use "anonymous@xxxxx.stratoserver.net" for the SMTP envelope.

To make this clear: That has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with uddeIM. And it has also nothing to do with Joomla when using Sendmail or PHPmail.

In uddeIM you can configure the mail header and if it should use mosMail (this means it uses the method configured in Joomla to send messages (Sendmail, PHPmail or SMTP server)) or PHPmail. When using PHPmail you are a little bit more flexible, so you can specify the sender name and sender email uddeIM should use for its notifications.

It means: the envelope sender was not acceptet by the provider because uddeIM don't use the correct sender address.

It does not say so: the "envelope" is NOT uddeIM, please translate correctly. And maybe you should change your provider since it seems that the support does not know anything about SMTP and Joomla basics.

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by slabbi.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantslabbikrileon