Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Error Message: Please Select a Database

13 years 10 months ago #147402 by freedomcoach
Error Message: Please Select a Database was created by freedomcoach
Hi everyone:

This evening I decided to take the leap and attempt to update the database tables using mySQL. I entered the queries exactly as indicated in the update instructions and exactly according to the instructions in the FAQ.

Each time I entered another line and clicked GO, I got a message saying “please select a database”. The following list of databases appeared on the left of the query window:

* breakti2
o _1dot5 (312)
o _bitweaver (130)
o _infinite
o _j15 (410)
o _joomla (180)
o _pap (79)
* information_schema (34)

Please select a database

I need assistance in determining which database to select and how to complete this process. At the moment I'm without a private messaging system since I'm between the old version and the new one. I'm holding off uninstalling 2.1 and re-installing 2.0

My users have become very accustomed to having this feature so it is important for me to resolve this as soon as possible. I appreciate whatever help you can provide and I apologize if this question has been answered previously.

Sincerely,
Howard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slabbi
  • slabbi
13 years 10 months ago #147407 by slabbi
Replied by slabbi on topic Re:Error Message: Please Select a Database
Guy, *you* have installed Joomla, so you are the only person who knows how your Joomla database is named.

My crystal ball tells me that there are two candidates "joomla" and "j15", nevertheless as the system admin you should know which one is the correct one.

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer

13 years 10 months ago #147463 by freedomcoach
Replied by freedomcoach on topic Re:Error Message: Please Select a Database
Actually my Joomla! site was installed by a consultant for me some time ago and since then I have progressively been learning more and more about managing the site and have progressed very far. Working with the MySQL database has simply not been a part of my experience until now.

In any event, the correct database turned out to be J15 and I was successful in doing the update. I'm now running version 2.1 and all is configured correctly. I'm a happy camper. It has been a very good learning experience for me as well. Thanks for creating such an outstanding component for private messaging.

Sincerely,
Howard

Moderators: beatnantslabbikrileon