Skip to Content Skip to Menu

🏖 End of summer sale! Savings on all memberships including single add-ons! Get 25% off now with code SUMMER25!

Group Meetings Audio / Video / Screen Share Needed

• JimmyUp
  • JimmyUp
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #338326 by JimmyUp
Hello Joomlapolis, 

Please help me with something I find quite confusing.  I have a Community Builder site running very nicely on a Joomla 5.1.1 development server, where the effort I am developing, is the kind of community work our small community wishes to do, as end users. We are figuring out how to get these products installed and put into use.   

My friends and I are now doing some interaction that meets 'some' of our goals.  However, I keep getting asked this question:     

When and where will there be a place to enter a virtual meeting room (in Community Builder) where there is a solution for sharing of all attendees with the ability to see and hear everyone, (camera/microphone) and to do a screen share for a presenter to host a meeting?   (aka replace Zoom / replace GoToMeeting / replace big Corporation proprietary closed source code solutions)  by having full interactive peer conferencing inside the Joomla environment???  My confusion is this:  Why is 'Community Builder' so near to this, but where? how?  Yet so far?   Where can I find the plugin, etc. to achieve a virtual meeting space hosted on our server?   I don't find any discussion of this important topic.    I think doing VOIP or WebSocket or some known protocols is sitting there in the open source community, is it not?  How about Joomdle/Moodle and using Moodle instead of Community Builder?   Some company needs to solve this 'simple' need. No?  Am I being too naïve to miss the root cause for this obvious missing functionality? 

Thank you in advance for fielding this deep request for functionality... obviously needed functionality. 

Jim Homyak
Minnesota, North America

Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by JimmyUp.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• beat
  • beat
2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #338327 by beat
There seem to be Joomla extensions that provide this:
extensions.joomla.org/category/communication/video-conference//
E.g. This one (but a few others on the list on url above might work too).:
extensions.joomla.org/extension/communication/video-conference/plugnmeet/

I haven't tried them out, so can't recommend any particular one.Generally, Videoconferencing functionality is a very heavy duty item on servers, although with WebRTC it became less heavy-duty.

NextCloud has such an item in their so-called "all-in-one" heavy duty multiple docker-based distribution, but requires a full medium-sized server to start.

We have no immediate plans to incorporate videoconferrencing, maybe later after CB 3.0.

Please keep us posted here on your progress and experience, and what solution you found!

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by beat.

• krileon
  • krileon
2 months 3 weeks ago #338328 by krileon
The Joomla extension directory  (this is prefiltered for you with J4/J5 compatibility) has quite a few that match video chat keywords, but may not be in the video conference category so I do recommend taking a look around in addition to Beat's suggestions.

As for CB we do plan to look into implementing this in CB 3.x. The idea is for the Private Message System plugin to evolve into a messenger plugin and include support for video/voice calling. This will depend on the limitations of implementing a listening server on budget hosts though as some hosts may not permit this. We're not even in the design phase for this though so it will still be awhile. It really hasn't been a huge priority mainly due to an abundance of free video conferencing software having solved this already, but again is something we'd like to have regardless.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon