Skip to Content Skip to Menu

🏖 End of summer sale! Savings on all memberships including single add-ons! Get 25% off now with code SUMMER25!

Subscription (write) to groups - Ask permission by form?

1 month 4 weeks ago #338497 by fox.fossati
Hello! I'm a newby in joomla and in CB. I'm planning to make an italian art community with hierarchical groups. For example a root parent "painting" group and various subgroups :oil, acrilic, watercolor...etc, and other parent groups like sculpture, photographers, architecture....etc... I prefer that every group be public (only for reading) for guest (subscribed) of my web site but i need that they must ask a permission to partecipate and write posts/comments in the group they choose. I would like a process similar to facebook where you have to compile a form and then admins of the group can acept or refuse the request.
Thank you for your help and greetings from italy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #338512 by krileon
CB GroupJive should be able to provide that. You'd use Categories for the parent groups, but these are just categorization and don't have any interactions. Groups themselves can be Public and the only people that can interact with a group (e.g. post on the activity stream, upload photos, etc..) are members of that group, but you can require group moderators/admins/owner to approve join requests to the group to satisfy your approval process by setting the group type to Approval.

I recommend giving it a try on our demo site below. There's several views available as well for finding groups.

All Groups:  demo.cbdemosites.com/community/groups/allgroups
Group Category:  demo.cbdemosites.com/community/groups/1-community-builder-add-ons
Group Categories:  demo.cbdemosites.com/demos/cb-groupjive/all-categories/allcategories

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by krileon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fox.fossati

1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #338517 by fox.fossati
Thank you very much for your help. Can i make parent groups and child subgroups or only categories and groups? I think i can do it with CB builder but i'm not sure. For example a parent painting group and oil,acrilic,watercolor....like child groups. Thanks, Grazie e saluti dall' Italia
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by fox.fossati.

• krileon
  • krileon
1 month 3 weeks ago #338519 by krileon
There is no subgrouping functionality in CB GroupJive just a Category > Group structure. You could just prefix categories though for example.

Category: Painting - Oil
Category: Painting - Acrylic
Category: Painting - Watercolor

Then you'd have user groups within those categories. If groups are not going to be managed or created by users, but by you as the administrator you could do the following.

Category: Painting
- Group: Oil
- Group: Acrylic
- Group: Watercolor

Then set all 3 groups types to Approval so users trying to join the group require approval. The contents of the group will be public though as you're wanting.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fox.fossati

Moderators: beatnantkrileon