Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Safe backup

6 years 9 months ago #301028 by JoeTheBronx
Safe backup was created by JoeTheBronx
Hi everybody.
I'm experiencing a serious problem with an extension, JEM-Joomla Event Manager. As I tried to manually erase all the JEM related folders from my FileZilla, I found my website without CB anymore, no more data, no more modules. It looked like the manual erasing of JEM folders partially destroyed CB folders or files too.
So, I have a question. In order not to experience this bad thing anymore (of course I was able to retrieve everything back with Akeeba Backup), I was thinking something maybe weird:
1 - Backing up all CB folders and database tables containing the data
2 - Proceeding to the manual erasing of the JEM folders
3 - Reinstalling CB from zero
4 - Restore the backup of the old CB contents and database tables
Do you think it could work? Please give me hints... I'm desperately looking to delete the JEM folders without suffering any data loss (all my athletic team members are registered with CB). Please help!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 9 months ago #301066 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Safe backup
No idea why deleting 1 extension would delete another. Guessing you deleted the wrong folders. CBs extension is stored in com_comprofiler component folder. Regardless deleting CBs component folder doesn't delete CB. Install CB again and all your data should still be fine. You'd need to do same for any installed plugins.

Regarding backups you can use Akeeba Backup or whatever backup functionality your web host provides. CB has no backup functionality built in.

Why are you manually erasing folders to begin with? Does uninstalling from Extensions > Manage not delete that extensions files as it should?

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 9 months ago #301123 by JoeTheBronx
Replied by JoeTheBronx on topic Safe backup

krileon wrote: No idea why deleting 1 extension would delete another. Guessing you deleted the wrong folders.

Once I deleted "com_jem" folder, I've got CB screwed up... Can't tell why...

krileon wrote: CBs extension is stored in com_comprofiler component folder. Regardless deleting CBs component folder doesn't delete CB. Install CB again and all your data should still be fine. You'd need to do same for any installed plugins.

This is something I could try overnight in the next few days... and if anything doesn't happen I can still operate thru my backups

krileon wrote: Why are you manually erasing folders to begin with? Does uninstalling from Extensions > Manage not delete that extensions files as it should?

Nope. I mean, in the past I've deleted the extension but it seems it didn't totally delete everything... and once I got aware of this, I proceeded to manually erase things... that's why today I have this issue...

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 9 months ago #301133 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Safe backup

Once I deleted "com_jem" folder, I've got CB screwed up... Can't tell why...

I don't see how that's possible beyond fatal PHP errors. That extension likely has other extensions trying to load files from the folder you deleted and it's causing fatal errors.

Nope. I mean, in the past I've deleted the extension but it seems it didn't totally delete everything... and once I got aware of this, I proceeded to manually erase things... that's why today I have this issue...

Review Extensions > Manage carefully as I'm guessing it wasn't completely installed. Module or something left behind.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon