Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Admin control

7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #289421 by Sorenmoldrup
Admin control was created by Sorenmoldrup
Hi All,

I have used Community Builder (the free version) for a while now and I am pretty happy about it. I have a project in progress and I have to decide if I should continue with CB and bye the full package or find somthing else for my project.

Before I decide what to do there is an issue which I like to ask you all about. It´s not easy to explain so I hope you´ll understand what I mean. Or if not please don´t hesitate to ask questions.

The project is a profile community for schools that could look a lot like a dating site without being one. But instead of just let all users create profiles I need to let a teacher register and create a class. After that create the students profiles for the class. When the profiles are created the student will recieve an e-mail or just a login (which the can change when logon). After that they are registered users but with an adminitstrator (the teacher) wich can control who the students can get in contact with and how the student operates the community.
The site needs security becouse it is for school student. So i need to lockout any other users like adults for security reasons.

Best scenario is that the teacher create a teacher profile, and have to have an approvement by their employer - the school. After that they can create classes and student profiles and operates as an administrator. Bottom line is that only teachers and students are allowed in the community.

Hope it makes sence.

Best regards
Soren
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Sorenmoldrup.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #289425 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Admin control
That's essentially a chain of permissions and it's no easy task I'm afraid. Basically your supervisors would be CB Moderators which can approve the registration of a teacher. These supervisors have absolute moderator control over every profile except other supervisors. The tricky part is having teachers have moderator control of student profiles only and what if a student belongs in more than 1 teachers class for example. I think the best way to do this is as follows.

1. Supervisor is CB Moderators
2. Registration set to require approval and confirmation
3. Registration would have a select field to select if registering as a student or teacher
4. CB Conditional would be used to adjust what information is requested of the user based off the registration type they've selected
5. CB GroupJive would be used for class collaboration. Meaning teachers are the only ones with group create access. The only group type available should be Approval. Student requests to join the group and must be approved by the teacher (who is the owner of the group) or can be invited by the teacher (adjust invite access accordingly)
6. Set profiles, userlists, etc.. to have Registered access at minimum

This should give you a closed system with profiles per user. Allow for self registration (teachers and users) that supervisors need to approve and allow for class by class collaboration with control over the class given to the teacher (they can manage all aspects of their group).

You can basically tinker with all these concepts on our demo site below as well if you want to see if it'll fit your needs.

demo.cbdemosites.com/

I can't think of any other way to do it as you can't have a CB Moderator for a subset of users and still brings up the issue of what if the student has more than 1 teacher, etc..

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by krileon.

7 years 9 months ago #289442 by Sorenmoldrup
Replied by Sorenmoldrup on topic Admin control
Hi Kyle,

Thank you for your comments.

I had a feeling that it was´nt easy at all but this is really helpful. I´ll check out the link.

Happy new year to you

Best regards
Soren
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon