Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Sending password in mail

8 years 1 week ago #286936 by coolestbug
Sending password in mail was created by coolestbug
I have read threads on this topic but none of them seems to lead to any type of solution. Years ago this problem was issued and set to "be fixed in the next update". Still this is a problem.

How can a site send emails including passwords? Is it possible?

I have tried to use both [PASSWORD] and [DETAILS] but none of them works.

I would like to include the password in the "Pending approval" mail and/or in the "Welcome" mail.

We are using user registration with admin approval.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
8 years 6 days ago #286953 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Sending password in mail

coolestbug wrote: I have read threads on this topic but none of them seems to lead to any type of solution. Years ago this problem was issued and set to "be fixed in the next update". Still this is a problem.

How can a site send emails including passwords? Is it possible?

I have tried to use both [PASSWORD] and [DETAILS] but none of them works.

I would like to include the password in the "Pending approval" mail and/or in the "Welcome" mail.

We are using user registration with admin approval.

The password can only be sent on very first instance before it is hashed to be stored in database.
If you have enabled email confirmation - then this is the very first instance and you would need to reference it in the email confirmation message.

8 years 6 days ago #286957 by coolestbug
Replied by coolestbug on topic Sending password in mail

nant wrote: The password can only be sent on very first instance before it is hashed to be stored in database.
If you have enabled email confirmation - then this is the very first instance and you would need to reference it in the email confirmation message.

Is that in YOUR_REGISTRATION_IS_PENDING_APPROVAL_MESSAGE or somewhere else?

This is how this message text is at the moment (in Swedish):

Hej [NAME]!\r\nTack för din registrering på [sitename]. Ditt konto är skapat men måste verifieras innan du kan använda det.\r\nFör att verifiera kontot klickar du på länken nedan eller kopierar in den i din webbläsare:\r\n\n[CONFIRM]\r\n\nVi kommer manuellt att granska din registrering. Du kommer att få en bekräftelse när detta är klart. Dina uppgifter kommer inte att vara synliga i [sitename] förrän denna granskning är genomförd.\n\n[DETAILS] och här kommer lösen: [PASSWORD]

Details does not include the password and the [PASSWORD] reference is not replaced. It still says "[PASSWORD]".

Am I in the wrong translation string?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon