Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Docman and CB. Integration issue when ACL set on category.

9 years 6 days ago - 9 years 6 days ago #271910 by gravitymarketing
Hello,

I'm wondering whether CB 2 and Docman 2 have an integration on Joomla 3+.

The functionality seems to be generally okay but I have one specific issue about my use. Basically, you can configure docman to give individual users their own documents.

The best practice way to go about this is listed here, ( www.joomlatools.com/extensions/docman/documentation/tutorials/setup-an-individual-user-documents-area.html ).

Basically, you create a category, (EG, "MY DOCUMENTS"), and give it a publisher/administrator permissions. So by default, nobody can see a document inside it. Now, when you go to add documents, you can simply assign an individual owner for said document and then both administrators and the owner can see documents.

This is because by default, owners of documents can always see them, even inside a category they have not given access to directly.

So, the problem I am having is slightly complex, but basically, Docman decides whether or not to show this 'publisher/administrator' category to the user based on whether they have at least ONE document inside they have access to.

It should be showing the category for the user when i add them as an "OWNER". The bug, is that it is not. An example summary of how it would work is:

Category Name: Test category, permission publisher.
Documents Inside: 1 document, with an owner.
Category Visibility: Cant see category. If i manually hyperlink the category I get an ACL error.

Category Name: Test category 2, permission public
Documents Inside: 2 document, one public document, one with an owner.
Category Visibility: Can see category, and 2 documents inside.

So you can see, the bug is in the first example, where the category is not visible despite there being a document inside where permissions should apply. In the second example, because there is at least 1 public document inside, the category is shown anyway.

So, it looks like most of the integration between CB/Docman is already done, just this one issue with whether or not to SHOW A CATEGORY is not working, whereas individual documents and all other functions seem fine.

There is probably just one conditional somewhere that is reading the user status from the wrong table or something that is causing the bug. Any suggestions?
Last edit: 9 years 6 days ago by gravitymarketing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
9 years 6 days ago #271911 by nant
I read your post and really see nothing CB related - does this bug (?) also appear without CB ? With just plain joomla?

9 years 6 days ago - 9 years 6 days ago #271912 by gravitymarketing
Replied by gravitymarketing on topic Docman and CB. Integration issue when ACL set on category.
Popular plugins often like to be documented as having functional integrations.

If CB is currently advertising it doesnt support docman thats fine. I was just curious is all.

You are right that the functionality adjustment is going to be required on the docman end for docman to function correctly. However, its likely due to the obscure ACL/User system that CB needs that its required in the first place, as from Docman 2.0, it switched entirely to using core ACL systems.

So in this case when a bug is documented, often the component that has the more obscure code leading to the issue might tell the other component developer what is required to fix it. From what i can see in some threads on Docman, they are advertising they do not current support integration with CB.

I'm rambling on here, all i actually want to know is whether or not these plugins are supposed to have integration supported or not. I can probably find a different way to get what i need otherwise.

EDIT** As for your question regarding the bug, its most certainly related to CB. I've actually installed CB mainly due to needing some additional flexibility in the registration form. After installing CB, i noticed the functionality stopped working as described. Definitely something related to the two not playing nice.
Last edit: 9 years 6 days ago by gravitymarketing.

• nant
  • nant
9 years 6 days ago - 9 years 6 days ago #271914 by nant

gravitymarketing wrote: Popular plugins often like to be documented as having functional integrations.

If CB is currently advertising it doesnt support docman thats fine. I was just curious is all.

Projects typicall advertise what they support and not what they do not support.

The only Docman reference CB has is the CBSubs Docman integration plugin that existed in CBSubs 3.0. It has now been dropped since Docman now fully supports Joomla ACL and no longer has its own groups.
[/quote]

You are right that the functionality adjustment is going to be required on the docman end for docman to function correctly. However, its likely due to the obscure ACL/User system that CB needs that its required in the first place, as from Docman 2.0, it switched entirely to using core ACL systems.

Not sure where you got this info from, but CB 2.0+ fully supports the Joomla ACL system.

So in this case when a bug is documented, often the component that has the more obscure code leading to the issue might tell the other component developer what is required to fix it. From what i can see in some threads on Docman, they are advertising they do not current support integration with CB.

I'm rambling on here, all i actually want to know is whether or not these plugins are supposed to have integration supported or not. I can probably find a different way to get what i need otherwise.

EDIT** As for your question regarding the bug, its most certainly related to CB. I've actually installed CB mainly due to needing some additional flexibility in the registration form. After installing CB, i noticed the functionality stopped working as described. Definitely something related to the two not playing nice.

Once again, I cannot see how this is a CB bug.
If user is in a specific Joomla ACL group and Docman has issue with this then why is CB at fault?

Sorry, I am confused here.
Last edit: 9 years 6 days ago by nant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gravitymarketing

Moderators: beatnantkrileon