Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Usability issue - No visual feedback after validation

• sabroso
  • sabroso
8 years 7 months ago #278005 by sabroso
Hi there,

I have a text area field where users can enter a description. The field configuration includes some “Forbidden words at registration” and “Forbidden words in user profile edits” within Parameters->Validation.

The problem is that when one of those forbidden words are used by the users, there is just an error message displayed after processing the form that says “This input value is not authorized”. But this error message shows only at the top of the form and there is NO highlighting of the tab and field that is producing the error.

This is terrible for usability since after submitting the form the user gets an error but he has no clue as to what he is doing wrong and what field is failing validation.

This is happening to other users as per:
www.joomlapolis.com/forum/153-professional-member-support/232250-text-area-does-not-accept-comma#275634

This is a very basic need that I encourage you to sort out as soon as possible.

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
8 years 7 months ago #278008 by nant

sabroso wrote: Hi there,

I have a text area field where users can enter a description. The field configuration includes some “Forbidden words at registration” and “Forbidden words in user profile edits” within Parameters->Validation.

The problem is that when one of those forbidden words are used by the users, there is just an error message displayed after processing the form that says “This input value is not authorized”. But this error message shows only at the top of the form and there is NO highlighting of the tab and field that is producing the error.

This is terrible for usability since after submitting the form the user gets an error but he has no clue as to what he is doing wrong and what field is failing validation.

This is happening to other users as per:
www.joomlapolis.com/forum/153-professional-member-support/232250-text-area-does-not-accept-comma#275634

This is a very basic need that I encourage you to sort out as soon as possible.

thanks

You can edit the message o make it clearer for your users in your language file (see CB Primer Book for more info on this).

We have also a ticket to improve here:

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/5803

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon