Skip to Content Skip to Menu

uddeIM problem with Joomla 1.7

• darkc0d3r
  • darkc0d3r
13 years 2 months ago #170472 by darkc0d3r
uddeIM problem with Joomla 1.7 was created by darkc0d3r
i just upgrade my joomla 1.6.5 to 1.7 and suddenly all things crashed with uddeIM , anyone got solution ?, i know kunena's team are working in order to make kunena compatible with joomla 1.7 i wonder if there is a same movement here , coz i badly need this component for my new project

and here is the error
Code:
Fatal error: Call to undefined method JLanguage::getBackwardLang() in **\components\com_uddeim\uddeimlib15.php on line 174

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slabbi
  • slabbi
13 years 2 months ago #170474 by slabbi
Replied by slabbi on topic Re: uddeIM problem with Joomla 1.7
Sure, uddeIM 2.4 is not compatible to Joomla 1.7, thats all.

You can use the developer version if you like.

uddeIM & uddePF Development
CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer
The following user(s) said Thank You: darkc0d3r

• darkc0d3r
  • darkc0d3r
13 years 2 months ago #170477 by darkc0d3r
Replied by darkc0d3r on topic Re: uddeIM problem with Joomla 1.7

slabbi wrote: Sure, uddeIM 2.4 is not compatible to Joomla 1.7, thats all.

You can use the developer version if you like.

for the record will it be compatible with joomla 1.7?
and the developer version works fine with j1.7? i need it on a production site and i cant risk too much on that as it goes to be a part of micro blogging system and a social network

• slabbi
  • slabbi
13 years 2 months ago #170478 by slabbi
Yes, uddeIM 2.5dev is compatible with J1.7 but not fully tested yet.

I don't think that uding J1.6 or J1.7 on a productive site is a good idea. These versions have a very short support period.

"Six-Month Release Cycle

A shorter development cycle that will enhance Joomla’s stability by providing more core feature development and adoption. Short-term releases will be in active development for six months, then reach the end-of-life one month after the next version’s release. Long-term support will be active for 15 months, starting with Joomla version 1.8. Version 1.7 will have a support cycle of seven months."

Currently it is quite annoying what Joomla dev does. Each version they break with compatibility to previous versions, so you have to modify components again and again. When running a J1.7 site be a aware that your site might be supported for six months only. After six month there might be a bigger upgrade and you have to find compatible versions of your components again.

CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer
The following user(s) said Thank You: darkc0d3r

• darkc0d3r
  • darkc0d3r
13 years 2 months ago #170480 by darkc0d3r
Replied by darkc0d3r on topic Re: uddeIM problem with Joomla 1.7

slabbi wrote: Yes, uddeIM 2.5dev is compatible with J1.7 but not fully tested yet.

I don't think that uding J1.6 or J1.7 on a productive site is a good idea. These versions have a very short support period.

"Six-Month Release Cycle

A shorter development cycle that will enhance Joomla’s stability by providing more core feature development and adoption. Short-term releases will be in active development for six months, then reach the end-of-life one month after the next version’s release. Long-term support will be active for 15 months, starting with Joomla version 1.8. Version 1.7 will have a support cycle of seven months."

Currently it is quite annoying what Joomla dev does. Each version they break with compatibility to previous versions, so you have to modify components again and again. When running a J1.7 site be a aware that your site might be supported for six months only. After six month there might be a bigger upgrade and you have to find compatible versions of your components again.

you are so damn right about this but now im gonna use kunena and uddeim on my site and i am just worry if i use j1.5 in near future or a year when i have to upgrade it into j1.8 or whatsoever there is a very big problem with mass database and risk of data loss that our team cant afford that at all , im expert in joomla and i totaly aware of the risks , i designed all i wanted in joomla 1.5(we connect sharetronix db to joomla to sync users and more) but after a while before making site available to users i decided to do everything again with j1.6 and i just finished my works that the storm came to me and ruined everything i just did , and due to XSS bug in j1.6.5 there is no way for me to publish my system in j1.6 , but u have point here so maybe i should take the risk start with j1.5 and when there is a long term support for joomla as u mention 1.8 i try to upgrade my whole system , what do you say by now ?

• slabbi
  • slabbi
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #170500 by slabbi
Well, using 1.5 for a new site is also a bad idea since it is also not longer supported. Currently I can only recommend Joomla for hobby sites but not for commercial sites that might run several years. The first version I would use for such a project is 1.8 because of the support period.
Quite hard to give a recommendation when a site is built now.

CB Language Workgroup
CB 3rd Party Developer
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by slabbi.

Moderators: beatnantslabbikrileon