Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Users list

• fioresns
  • fioresns
2 months 3 weeks ago #338678 by fioresns
Users list was created by fioresns
I'm trying to import some users with a csv file. To match the right format, I used the same file I downloaded with the download option.
It doesn't work. Nor it works using a plain cvs file.
Is there a tutorial somewhere, or a model? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
2 months 3 weeks ago #338688 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Users list
First export a row so you can the correct format. Next review the warning exclamation point icon in the import display as it describes what settings you need to use when opening the CSV file in your editor to ensure the format is correct. Those settings are as follows if having trouble finding the icon.

1. Character set: UTF-8
2. Separated by Comma
3. Format quoted fields as text
4. " as string delimiter

These are generally set immediately when opening the CSV in your editor. This will ensure your CSV is compatible for import. Alternatively XML and JSON export/import are also supported and not prone to editor formatting problems.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• fioresns
  • fioresns
2 months 3 weeks ago #338694 by fioresns
Replied by fioresns on topic Users list
I'm trying with the attached file (I renamed the extension in .txt because .csv files are not allowed in the forum,
but in Joomla I used the .csv).
Been trying with suggested ID (from 171 as last one is 170) and with quotes instead.
I get this error message:

1 row failed to import

Cannot import row 1 because: Username in use.

If its many (different) rows, it increases the 1 number.
Attachments:

• krileon
  • krileon
2 months 3 weeks ago #338695 by krileon
Looks like the import is working fine. It's just erroring because the username is in use. Adjust the import dropdown to tell it how to handle existing user imports.

It defaults to "Always create new entries ignoring ids of records to import". If you want it to be able to update existing users set it to "Overwrite existing entries with records matching ids". If you want it to just skip imports for existing users then set it to "Ignore import records with matching ids". Gives you complete control over how to handle those imports.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• fioresns
  • fioresns
2 months 3 weeks ago #338698 by fioresns
Replied by fioresns on topic Users list
Can you actually import that user? Username wasn't really in use, and in a list of 10 names, all of them result in use. Even if I change them.
If I change many things, I get this error:

1 row failed to import

Cannot import row 1 because: Missing required information: name, username, or email

Even if they are not missing.

Idk why things simply don't work as they should on my site...

• krileon
  • krileon
2 months 3 weeks ago #338699 by krileon
Yes, importing in my J3, J4, and J5 test installs work fine (these are normalized containerize docker installs matching typically live sites). Importing new users requires providing information that's mandatory to Joomla. That's name, username, and email. CB will generate a password for them if it's missing. If you import contains an id column then it's going to see if a user with that id already exists and will load them then act accordingly based off the import dropdown setting.

Idk why things simply don't work as they should on my site...

I don't know why either. Did you migrate up from J3, J4, or is this a fresh install? If you PM backend super user login credentials I can review your install Monday and try to find what's going wrong. It could be a server configuration problem of some kind.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon