Skip to Content Skip to Menu

User subscription not activated after payment with Paypal

• Vorak
  • Vorak
4 weeks 2 days ago #338931 by Vorak

Hello,

I have recently updated from Joomla 3 to Joomla 4, but now that the first paid subscription payments come in on the site, I notice that it does not work through Paypal.

The user goes to Paypal and makes the payment, so the payment itself does come in. But nothing happens on the website - the user does not get his subscription activated, no emails are sent out about it either.

I checked the settings in CBSubs (which I did not change when updating to Joomla 4) and everything seems to be in order. The PDT token is set correctly as provided in the Paypal settings. 

I tried the whole subscribing procedure myself by making an actual payment through paypal. When Paypal sent me back to my website, this is the error I got:

Incorrect string value: '\xEDa mej...' for column `nod_joomla4`.`jos_cbsubs_notifications`.`raw_data` at row 1

When I go to IPN history on the Paypal website, the status says "retrying" and there is nothing I can do but look at the information details. It gives HTTP response code 500. And the URL (exact link redacted):

www.site.com/map/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&view=pluginclass&Itemid=1718&plugin=cbpaidsubscriptions&cbpgacctno=1&cbpbasket=890&do=gw&result=notify&cbpid=cbp66c2462d1e2a6927287030&format=raw

(that link just says "INVALID" on the screen)

The website is set correctly in the settings for this in Paypal, I checked that too.

There is nothing of all this to be found in the CBSubs History Logs & Events. Nothing in Notifications either (except the 3 times I tried manually to open the link above, which it did seem to record and for each time the notifications also says INVALID as verification and "IPN notification not authenticating at payment gateway" as log type)

In my impression, everything goes fine up to the point where Paypal sends confirmation of payment back to CBSubs - there it seems to fail because it can't connect with CBSubs or something.

How can this be fixed?

If you need backend access, you can use the same admin info that I pm'd you a few days ago about that redirect issue.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
4 weeks 1 day ago - 4 weeks 1 day ago #338936 by krileon
Your database collation looks like it might be incorrect causing an encoding issue when storing the notification data. Within CB > Tools run all the database fix tools beginning with "Check Community Builder Database" and also run "Check Community Builder User Fields Database with strict column types" in the description of one of the other tools once you're done using the buttons. Apply any fixes it proposes. It should be able to find collation errors for you in plugins and fix them.

Your IPN URL is also using an Itemid of 1718 so be sure whatever menu item that's associated to is public access otherwise the IPN will be blocked by Joomla menu ACL.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Last edit: 4 weeks 1 day ago by krileon.

• Vorak
  • Vorak
4 weeks 1 day ago #338938 by Vorak
Hello,

I did all the CB tools and all is green, nothing to fix, except for this:

There are 4 column(s) missing in the comprofiler table, which are defined as fields (rows in comprofiler_fields):
- Field geoLat - Column geoLat is missing from comprofiler table.
- Field geoLng - Column geoLng is missing from comprofiler table.
- Field cb_geolat - Column cb_geolat is missing from comprofiler table.
- Field cb_geolng - Column cb_geolng is missing from comprofiler table.
This one can be fixed by deleting and recreating the field(s) using components / Community Builder / Field Management.
Please additionally make sure that columns in comprofiler table are not also duplicated in users table.

These belonged to the Geommunity plugin which I had uninstalled but when I found they left behind residue along with JBolo, I removed those columns in MySQL. CB does not find these fields anymore so I can't delete them. But I don't think this will be the cause of the issue with Paypal?

Menu item 1718 is the CB Profile menu, part of the Community Builder menu. The access is set to public, language is set to All. It is no submenu, but a parent menu.

• krileon
  • krileon
4 weeks 1 day ago #338941 by krileon
It's possible the encoding from PayPal is incorrect. Please see the below topic which I believe has the same issue. Beat has provided instructions on how to fix the charset at PayPal to avoid this. For whatever reason PayPal sometimes defaults to windows-1252 charset instead of UTF-8.

www.joomlapolis.com/forum/cb-paid-subscriptions-support/246201-paypal-ipn-random-fails?start=12#335545

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vorak

• Vorak
  • Vorak
4 weeks 1 day ago #338942 by Vorak
Thanks, I just tested by doing an actual payment for a subscription on a test account, and now it all goes through normally. Paypal redirects correctly to the website, and the account is subscribed as it should be, confirmation email also comes through.

Thanks! I would never have thought to check there!

As a sidenote: is there anything I can do to get rid of that red text in regards to those deleted Geommunity fields?
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

• krileon
  • krileon
4 weeks 1 day ago #338944 by krileon

As a sidenote: is there anything I can do to get rid of that red text in regards to those deleted Geommunity fields?

You should be able to just delete those fields in CB > Field Management. They should exist there as text field types when their associated plugin was deleted.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon